Just now I’ve been farming Mohran stuff with a couple of guys I met online. In case you’re not familiar with the term “farming”; it basically means hunting the same monster over and over again to get as many parts and items as possible. Usually to create a certain armor or piece of weaponry. Anyway, farming the Mohran was really fun. I remember my first couple of tries were kind of frustrating since many of the hunters didn’t exactly know how to fight it. In fact it’s quite simple, we even managed to kill the dragon within less than 15 minutes, which was pretty amazing.
Anyway, there are only a few basic rules to follow in order to take a Jhen Mohran down, the most important of them listed below.
- Mohrans is very weak to dragon-element weapons. If you don’t have any of those, ice still deals a decent amount of damage. Don’t use fire-element weapons though, they’re as good as useless against him.
- When you have the chance to get on Mohrans back, attack the two cracks on his fin. Remember that you can attack them from both, his right and left side which deals major damage. After hitting them for long enough the cracks will open, providing a passage to the other side.
- Don’t be greedy with the special-attacks of the ship. The gong, the ballista-binder as well as the dragon-spear are all powerful weapons. The gong is usually used shortly before Mohran is threatening to tackle the boat. The binder draws him closer to the ship and keeps him steady, so he can be hit easier. The most powerful though is the dragon-spear. It deals massive damage and forces Mohran to retreat for a short while.
- Use the ballistas (apart from binding) to damage Mohrans fangs (horns?). Remember that you can also carve there when you manage to kill him.
- The most powerful weapon that is available at all times is the canon. Don’t attack Mohran with a regular weapon, even if he’s close. The canon deals way more damage. That especially counts for the “end-phase” where mohran draws nearer to the stranded ship and tries to destroy it with bodyslams. First attack him with ballistas as long as he’s out of reach for the canons. As soon as he is close enough though, switch to canons.
That’s pretty much all there is to it. It’s usually a good idea to boost your defense before the encounter. Some of Mohrans attacks are close to fatal.